On Monday 11th July, 2011 ANSA McAL formally welcomed three hundred of its newest family members into its halls. The Festival Ballroom of the Crowne Plaza teemed with employees proudly clad in blue, who had travelled from all its Trinidad subsidiaries, eager to start the day.
The Group Orientation, entitled “The Place for Performers”, took place from 9:00am to 4:00pm and featured presenters from across the group who were able to provide staff with a better understanding of the Group and the functionality of key areas.
Throughout the day, employees were given icebreakers, brain teasers, creative songs about Cadbury chocolates which translated into lots of laughs.
There were remarks and presentations from the following persons:
- Mr. A. Norman Sabga, Group Chairman – Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Mr. Gerry Brooks, Chief Operating Officer – Mission, Values and Strategic Initiatives
- Ms. Teresa White, Group Human Resource Director – Our Brand
- Mr. Richard Jones, Managing Director (TATIL Life) – Group Benefits
- Mr. Aneal Maharaj, Group Finance Director – Governance and You
Afternoon – Sector Profiles
- Mr. Andrew Sabga, Sector Head – Beverages
- Mr. David Sabga, Deputy Chairman/ Sector Head – Automotive
- Mr. Jose Nivet, Sector Head – Distribution
- Mr. Gabriel Faria – Managing Director, Guardian Media Limited
- Mr. Edward Kacal – Managing Director, Sissons Paints (Manufacturing Sector)
- Mr. Craig La Croix – General Manager, Bescrete (Manufacturing Sector)
- Mr. Chip Sa Gomes – Managing Director, ANSA Merchant Bank Limited
- Mr. Suresh Dutta – (Former) Sector Head – Services
The afternoon session ended with a Panel Discussion which involved active staff participation. Using a quote from Dr. Anthony Sabga – Chairman Emeritus, Mr. Gerry Brooks not only had the crowd chanting on their feet, but his closing remarks encouraged staff members to love what they do:
“Find the job that you like and you never have to work one day in your life. Do something that you enjoy. I never did anything I did not enjoy. My whole life was a pleasure. Honesty, Integrity and determination to succeed – these values have served me very well. I was never afraid to make any decision, whether right or wrong, Very often, however a decision is made and it has to be shaped into success. So the determination to succeed is a key factor” – Dr. Anthony N. Sabga, C.M.T., Hon LL.D (UWI).
Feedback from the Group HR Orientation indicated that the event was engaging, interesting and informative. Staff members who attended the session made suggestions for future Group Human Resource Orientations. They gave the day a very high rating and recommended the exposure to ALL staff members every six months.
Plans are already in train for the next Group Orientation. Stay tuned.