Chemical Lab Technician
- To perform the full spectrum of chemical and related analysis on raw materials, batch mixes and finished products.
- To monitor the operations in the Chemical Laboratory.
- To ensure that the final glass product exists within the current specifications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Train junior staff in new procedures or tests.
- Request, source, receive and ensure the economical use of all materials in the Chemical Laboratory.
- Prepare test solutions and re-agents for use in the chemical analyses of raw materials and finished products.
- Perform specified analyses on raw materials and furnace output to ensure conformity with Company specifications.
- Check ware produced from each furnace for visible defects that may be related to glass composition.
- Adjust batch plant scale settings for variations in the quality of raw materials and batch mix.
- Set up and operate the apparatus necessary to produce distilled water for use on the plant.
- Analyse any occluded material in the finished product to determine its origin.
- Send glass samples to independent testing laboratories for analyses.
- Ensure that all chemical and related tests are carried out in accordance with specified practices and procedures, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Maintain an inventory system for chemicals in the Laboratory.
- Recommend improvements and/or modifications to existing methods and test procedures in an effort to maximise effectiveness within the Laboratory.
- Prepare all reports as required by the job function thoroughly, accurately and within the specified time frame.
- Produce required research based on historical data to prepare for upcoming jobs or glass designing situations.
- Advise management as per simulations on batch formulations.
- Check all work produced and take corrective action necessary to ensure that it is free from defects and meets the specified quality standards.
- Prepare appropriate charts and reports to keep track of the results of daily analyses and to observe any trends in the quality of raw materials and melted glass.
- Design new spreadsheet tools for analyzing work functions.
- Adjust batch formulation in redesigning glass.
- Prepare colour change schedule.
- Maintain laboratory manual.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the procedures as per ISO 9001 standards and CGL Quality Manual.
- Perform any other related duties as may be required by the job function.
- To comply with the Company’s/ Department’s procedures and policies belonging to the Quality Management System and the Health, Safety & Environmental Management System.
- To fulfill the legal duties of the Occupational Safety & Health Act 2004 as an employee.
Training and Experience
- Five (5) subjects at the Ordinary Level or the equivalent which must include Mathematics and English Language.
- Laboratory Technician’s National Diploma.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a chemical laboratory.
- Knowledge of computer spreadsheet applications.
P.O Box 600,
11th Floor, TATIL Building,
Maraval Road, Port of Spain.
E-Mail: [email protected]